The injured were admitted to Apollo Hospital, Billaspur, where their condition was stated to be out of danger. All the victims have reportedly suffered burn injuries, with one of them sustaining 60-65% burns.
The incident comes close on the heels of the last week's massive explosion at the Navbharat Fuse Company Ltd, at Chote Urla Village, Abhanpur Block, that claimed five lives. Earlier, on June 13 six people had died due to methane gas leak at Bhilai Steel Plant.
According to NTPC officials, the mishap occurred while the cleaning of ash from the Unit 7 Boiler was being done. There was a sudden release of ash affecting the eight people working in the vicinity.
All the injured were initially treated at the NTPC Hospital and later shifted to Apollo, Bilaspur. Officials said since the routine cleaning work of the boiler was scheduled on Wednesday, the Unit had been shut down a day earlier.
NTPC officials said all the victims, including six contract workers of Indwell and two engineers of NTPC Korba, are out of danger. Three of them are likely to be released today. One of the injured workers, Bond Ram Prajapati (34), who has reportedly suffered more injuries, is likely to remain under treatment longer.
Devesh Gopal, Spokesperson of the Apollo Hospital, told TOI that five of the injured, including the two engineers, had suffered minor burns. However, of the remaining three, two had sustained burn injuries up to 40 per cent and one had more than 60-65 per cent burns.